Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Beka Cooper Trilogy Book 2: Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

Hello again!

I'm back with book 2 of the Beka Cooper Trilogy: Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce. I don't think I've mentioned this before but this is not the first time I've read either the first or second novel. I believe Tamora Pierce may have been either overwhelmed by her work load, or struggling to continue the trilogy because it took some time to write each book.

She released Terrier in 2006 and this one came out in 2009. The last book (which I am currently about to start reading!!) came out last year in 2011. Because of the long gaps between books and my constant reading addiction, I've read a lot of books between the two and had to re-read them to remember all the little details.

The best part of re-reading a book you've enjoyed is picking up all the fun details and tidbits a person sometimes gloss over to get to the heart of the book. I think Pierce does remarkably well in her books when it comes to character development. I love how each character comes to life and how she can bring together so many of them into one book. It's impressive because I don't feel like her characters have to fight for attention and they're all distinctive enough that they don't blend together.

A fun thing Pierce likes to do in her books is to adapt current/modern practices into her literary universe. For example Birth Control magic charms! She also places a lot of her liberal and feminist views in her novels too. It's not hard to miss. If you read the books you should post examples too!

Anyway, tangent aside, let's get to the heart of the book- shall we?

Bloodhound is set about 5 months after Beka becomes an official Dog. And it's off to a dreary start...

:: Summary ::

She's jumping from partner to partner (no one wants her!) and is left with being partnered with Goodwin and Tunstall (again!). She gets saddled with a scent-hound and discovers a colemongering (counterfeit money) problem which sets off an inflation problem and is sent off to Port Caynn (where they believe it originates from) with Goodwin to quickly snoop and rectify the situation.

:: SPOILER ALERT :: You've been Warned!

This is where Beka grows a bit as a girl/woman. She is courted by a very handsome, charming, teasing, and playful Dale.

Dale is really the first guy so far that the reader's can root for. He's a dashing, charming, hot character! He's the first guy to really court Beka and treat her like a lady... because she needs to actually act like a girl.

Beka is on a mission with Goodwin to snoop around Port Caynn. They met Dale and his friend Hanse during a riot in Corus and are reunited in Port Caynn. They suspect the "coles" (counterfeits) are spreading through gambling and luckily run into the port's biggest gamblers... Dale and Hanse!

Beka gets to see the nightlife and wonders of the harbor and make enemies with... *drumroll* Pearl Skinner! The Rogue of Port Caynn (sort of like a king of the thieves).

For the antagonist... Pearl Skinner is a bit weak. She's crazy, greedy, and insensitive about her people's needs... but that's it. I felt like her character was too flat. She isn't smart or cunning enough to be an antagonist. I know Pierce says that her henchmen are supposed to make up for that... but I don't think she stepped up to what she was reputed to be. I've read better.

:: End of Spoiler Alert ::

I'm not sure if this is a series I'm going to reread again. I'm reading the third one now, so if it becomes unbelievable amazing and spectacular in my eyes... I probably won't be picking up this book again any time soon.

Also I mentioned in the other review that this is written in a journal format... I think Pierce got a little bit more creative with it (smudges and cross-outs and misspellings, etc); A fun little detail I wanted to pick out.

:: Review ::

Again, a hefty novel, but I think the plot/storyline was better than the previous novel. Pierce introduced a new city, new people, and a romantic interest for Beka. I think there was better suspenseful moments too.

Rating:: B

Yes, another solid B. Honestly it was a good book. There were nice solid characters. I wish we had more spotlight on the Corus crowd, but the new characters were just as likable and memorable.

High hopes for the next. What you guys are reading? What's your favorite genre? whose your favorite character in any of the Tortall books? Let me know!!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment